One of the best parts about our business is the interaction we have with so many talented professionals such as interior designer Lisa Gilmore of Lisa Gilmore Design in St. Petersburg, Florida. Offering her services to clients in Florida, Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., and New York, Lisa believes in “liveable glamour” — creating spaces that merge a variety of elements for functional, everyday living. Lisa recently turned her talents to the KELP Sushi Joint in nearby Tampa which opened up in a space previously occupied by a yogurt shop.Read More
Designers, homeowners, and even business owners the world over seem to be in a vintage tizzy. Anything old is a hot commodity and the lighting industry is no exception. A web search of vintage lighting brings up a host of fixtures from bygone eras that offer a timeless sense of style. Gone are the days when everything in your décor has to match. A modern loft in New York brimming with glass and metal may be accented with Art Deco wall sconces, while a ranch-style home in Memphis may feature gas station lights from the 1940s along the driveway.
Commercial venues also utilize vintage lighting not only for the distinctive look it brings, but also because vintage lights were simply made to last. Crafted in times when quality meant more than quantity, vintage lights were often made from the strongest, most durable materials available at the time. The disposable society had yet to emerge and lighting was purchased to last not for several years but for several generations.
This Vintage Caged Appleton™ Gasketed Light is a prime example of a fixture that has stood the test of time. Originally manufactured for damp and hazardous locations such as warehouses and manufacturing facilities, this vintage stem mount pendant is 14″ high, features a galvanized finish, and can handle up to a 200 watt bulb. With its wire cage, the fixture throws light in every direction and would be a unique piece in any workshop, garage, or industrial setting that needs rugged lighting. Like all our vintage lights, this fixture has been rewired and comes ready to install.
The Appleton name has been associated with quality electrical products since Swedish immigrant Albert Appleton started his own electrical supply company in Chicago in 1903 with two employees. From its humble beginnings, the company focused on creating innovative products that helped the country move beyond gas-powered lighting and embrace the power of electricity safely and efficiently. Grab a piece of history for your space!
The not-so-secret recipe for the amazing food you’ll find at any Bareburger restaurant in New York is listed right on their website. Organic, grass-fed, all natural, and sustainable are just a few of the words they use to describe the fare they create every day with the help of local farmers. And the founders take just as much care when it comes to designing their restaurant spaces using recycled, reclaimed, and sustainable materials. Two new locations feature one of our favorite upcycled lighting fixtures — The Mig Retro Steel Industrial Pendant.Read More
No matter what your age or design style, we all like a little bling in our lives. That special something that turns a head and starts a conversation. Or those little extras that pull a room together and make it pop. Often times, this home dècor bling has a history; a vintage piece that isn’t seen on every store shelf or website.
You can incorporate some history into your own home with Barn Light Electric’s collection of Vintage Accessories that include salvaged and decorative accent pieces. These items are a great way to add some new life to a room without the time, hassle, and expense of a major remodel. If you’ve always wanted to try out a new look, but didn’t want to commit to a complete overhaul of your dècor, adding accessories is an instant fix.
This Countertop Mirror in polished brass adds an elegant touch to a guest bath or entryway table. This fixture is an original manufactured by UrbanArchaeology.com and is currently listed at 50 percent off the list price. Or perhaps an Antique Door Knocker, also from UrbanArchaeology.com would make a lovely utilitarian addition to your front door. This American made knocker has a polished brass finish and is also available at half off the list price.
Salvaged Hardware is a great collection to browse for pieces you can install easily and quickly to pep up your dècor. A set of Polished Chrome Hooks in the kitchen to hold towels or tools would be useful or how about dressing up those tired cabinets with some Vintage Crystal Drawer Pulls?
And of course, switching up your lighting is always a favorite way to brighten up a room! A beautifully crafted floor lamp offers a dose of Victorian charm and could be used as an accent in any room. With a detailed shaft, claw feet, and two satin glass shades, the Antique Victorian Double Lamp has been attentively preserved for modern use.
Earth Day is tomorrow! How are you celebrating? At Barn Light Electric, we love to recycle classic trends and give new life to abandoned materials through our upcycled products. We’re not the only people to embrace this lifestyle. So many independent crafters and brands have accepted the challenge of creating products out of recycled resources and we’re loving the result.
This Style Me Sunday, we have picked some of our favorite reycled and upcycled interior decorations and products to share from charming locals around the internet.
1. What do you do with spare wood salvaged from old fences and construction projects? Christine from thisfinedayhome created unique and modern planters! Crafted from cedar fence posts, these Faceted Wood Planter Polygon are perfect for adding a natural touch to desk décor and window gardens.
2. Are you and your pet constantly on the go? Aimee from Atomic Attic found the solution. This Upcycled Vintage Train Case Pet Feeder clever accessory isn’t just great because of its retro styling, but its nifty storage!
3. These little Sustainable Seed “Bombs” make an ingenious way to sprinkle seeds around your yard and neighborhood. Simply toss and water, and these balls will break into natural fertilizers that help wildflowers to grow! Plus, they come in a delightful, screen-printed bag from Visualingual!
4. “Rustic and eco-friendly!” are the perfect way to describe these Recycled Kraft CD Sleeves fromleboxboutique . Shop owner Lacey show how to accessorize these sleeves with twine, recycled gift wrapping, and salvaged fixings for extra personality!
5. WHITEStardust gives vintage lace and doilies new life with these beige Wedding Garlands. Use these as delicate window coverings or for display, and you are not only adding a feminine accent, but a bit of antique craftsmenship.
6. Barn Light Electric has taken a classic American kitchen-staple, the mason jar, and turned it into a vintage inspired light fixture! The Vintage Ball Perfect Blue Mason Jar Pendant is the perfect conversation piece for kitchen islands, commercial bars, or loft lighting!
7. Last but not least…Our Jadite Mig! This top-selling pendant light is fashioned from acetylene tank tops and detailed with a distressed and colorful finish. Staying “green” plus re-purposing an industrial part makes this decorative pendant the perfect lighting accessory for Earth Day!
How are you “going green” this Earth Day? Inspire others for a chance to win a Barn Light Electric Original™ Warehouse LED Pendant by joining our Earth Day Giveaway!Read More