Earth Day is tomorrow! How are you celebrating? At Barn Light Electric, we love to recycle classic trends and give new life to abandoned materials through our upcycled products. We’re not the only people to embrace this lifestyle. So many independent crafters and brands have accepted the challenge of creating products out of recycled resources and we’re loving the result.
This Style Me Sunday, we have picked some of our favorite reycled and upcycled interior decorations and products to share from charming locals around the internet.
1. What do you do with spare wood salvaged from old fences and construction projects? Christine from thisfinedayhome created unique and modern planters! Crafted from cedar fence posts, these Faceted Wood Planter Polygon are perfect for adding a natural touch to desk décor and window gardens.
2. Are you and your pet constantly on the go? Aimee from Atomic Attic found the solution. This Upcycled Vintage Train Case Pet Feeder clever accessory isn’t just great because of its retro styling, but its nifty storage!
3. These little Sustainable Seed “Bombs” make an ingenious way to sprinkle seeds around your yard and neighborhood. Simply toss and water, and these balls will break into natural fertilizers that help wildflowers to grow! Plus, they come in a delightful, screen-printed bag from Visualingual!
4. “Rustic and eco-friendly!” are the perfect way to describe these Recycled Kraft CD Sleeves fromleboxboutique . Shop owner Lacey show how to accessorize these sleeves with twine, recycled gift wrapping, and salvaged fixings for extra personality!
5. WHITEStardust gives vintage lace and doilies new life with these beige Wedding Garlands. Use these as delicate window coverings or for display, and you are not only adding a feminine accent, but a bit of antique craftsmenship.
6. Barn Light Electric has taken a classic American kitchen-staple, the mason jar, and turned it into a vintage inspired light fixture! The Vintage Ball Perfect Blue Mason Jar Pendant is the perfect conversation piece for kitchen islands, commercial bars, or loft lighting!
7. Last but not least…Our Jadite Mig! This top-selling pendant light is fashioned from acetylene tank tops and detailed with a distressed and colorful finish. Staying “green” plus re-purposing an industrial part makes this decorative pendant the perfect lighting accessory for Earth Day!
How are you “going green” this Earth Day? Inspire others for a chance to win a Barn Light Electric Original™ Warehouse LED Pendant by joining our Earth Day Giveaway!Read More
We had dozens of entries but at the conclusion of our 2013 Barn Light Electric Remodel Challenge on Pinterest, the winner was Julie Bigboy from California! Thank you to everyone who entered and congratulations to Julie on her beautiful pinboard that features not only beautiful barn lighting but charming home accessories that will make Julie’s new home a warm and inspiring place for her family. Join us as we have a chat with our winner!Read More
We were in for a treat when Lauren, our photographer, stumbled across one of our new favorite vacation locations—the Mermaid Cottages. Their charming interiors full of vibrant walls, rustic accents, and shabby chic décor captivated us–of course we had to be their friends! We were inspired by their many rental cottages located on Tybee Island, so today’s Style Me Sunday is all about the “cottage charm, coastal calm” of their Inlet Breeze master bedroom.
A minty green coat of paint (like this Nottingham Green) is a fresh addition to the classic beadboard. This look is an easy DIY project when you use Paintable Birch Veneer Beadboard. Mermaid Cottages shares our love of taking something old and breathing fresh life into it. These upcycled shutter headboards are a fantastic example, especially the hunter green shade. In our dream space, we’d place two yellow, porcelain enamel Wheeler™ Esso Wall Sconces on each side of the bed for a little extra task light for late night reading. A unique pendant light like this Chicken Wire Basket Pendant Lamp is perfect for adding pastoral style, and paired with a nostalgic Edison bulb, you’ve got yourself the perfect mood lighting!
Elements like the swordfish wall ornament and curtains introduce other colors into the space. For our pop of color, we’re using these little sculpted birds. They are hand painted and distressed to perfection—and who can say no to turquoise? Display these along with a retro-inspired Dolomite Alarm Clock on an American Made re-purposed wood Floating Shelf for eclectic styling.
Now’s the perfect time to add a little island flavor to your home. If you’re looking for a fun and festive place to spend a weekend, check out Mermaid Cottages and tell them we said “Hello!”
This week’s Style Me Sunday ushers in a little summer warmth to ease your chilly winter blues. And there’s no better light than our new Sydney shades to do this! Its nautical style is reminiscent of our favorite oceanic holidays—and is the perfect fixture for this eclectic space.
Whether located in your back porch or living room, outdoor furniture like this Wicker Lane White Chair adds lots of texture and detail. Fresh foliage is another element that brings the outdoors in and enlivens your senses.
Crisp and clean cobalt blue-and-white patterns often make cameo appearances in nautical spaces, but we’re adding a little twist with this Arbre Chinois fabric. We love the way this fabric coordinates with the chinoiserie planter from the Inspiration Image without clashing with the overall look.
Looking for a fun way to display your favorite findings? Try hanging them as wall ornamentation! We love this Octopus Print from Etsian littlebluebirdstudios. And don’t forget wall sconces — Captain Ahab would be envious of this Admidships Bulkhead Wall Mount Light Fixture’s patina finish!
Fill your Canvas Baskets with Handles with shells, sea-glass, or other collectibles for a great conversational piece!
Vintage Industrial fever is taking over, and if you haven’t caught the bug just yet, check out this endearing kitchen. From the over-sized, rustic “Grocery” sign to the distressed, perforated metal bins—every detail in this room has a story.
Barn Light Electric carries a variety of these vintage-inspired accessories that you can use to transform every room in your home. Our Industrial Home Utility category carries an assortment of utilitarian-influenced accessories including Decorative Metal Cabinet Baskets and Canvas Handled Wire Baskets.Read More